Common Mold Locations in Your Sacramento Home
Mold spores are constantly floating around just about everywhere. As a result of this, and given the right conditions, mold may show up in your home or business at any time. Even if you maintain a general level of cleanliness around your property, mold will still find the conditions it needs to survive and spread.
- Anywhere there is moisture, mold can be present
- Check your shower, this means grout, any products, small spaces, or above the shower area
- Under your sink, you may not notice that a pipe has started to leak creating a perfect environment for mold
- Leaking in your shower or bathtub may also go unnoticed and cause mold to grow beneath these items
- Check for mold under carpets, spilled drinks or food can offer mold a prime place for growth
- Window seals, water may become trapped and give mold an ideal environment for growth
- Brickwork, an exposed chimney or other brickwork can allow moisture to be trapped in between bricks, giving rise to mold growth
- Your fridge may be hiding mold under, or behind it
- Garbage can will often have moisture and plenty of food for mold to thrive on, check the container and lid for mold growth
After checking these places, if you still suspect mold growth, call SERVPRO of Rio Linda and North Highlands to have professionals inspect your home. Call us at (916) 991-1522 or visit our website for more information.
Sacramento Campfire Safety Tips for Camping Season 2017
Tips to stay safe this camping season, from SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda
Even though we aren’t in a drought, it still the dry season. It is always important to stay safe no matter the conditions when making a fire, for your safety and the safety of others. Here are some safety tips on how to pick a spot, prepare your fire, and extinguish it properly.
How to Pick a Campfire Spot
- DO NOT build a campfire if the campground, area or event rules prohibit them.
- DO NOT build a campfire in hazardous, dry conditions.
- Find Out if the campground has an existing fire ring or fire pit.
- If there is not an existing fire pit, and pits are allowed, choose a site at least 15 feet from tent walls, shrubs, trees or other flammable objects. Beware of low-hanging branches.
- Choose an open, level location away from fuels such as logs, brush or decaying leaves.
- Take wind, and its direction, into account when choosing the site. Choose a spot that’s protected from gusts.
How to Prepare your Campfire Pit
- Clear a 10-foot-diameter area around the site. Remove any grass, twigs, leaves and firewood.
- Dig a pit in the dirt, about a foot deep.
- Circle the pit with rocks.
How to Build Your Campfire
- Make sure you have a source of water, a bucket and shovel nearby at all times.
- Gather three types of wood from the ground always. Never cut whole trees or branches, dead or alive. Live or fresh materials won’t burn, and you’ll be damaging the forest. Dead standing trees often are homes for birds and other wildlife.
- Tinder: Small twigs and dry leaves grass and needles.
- Kindling: Sticks smaller than 1″ around.
- Fuel: Larger pieces of wood. Keep these stacked upwind, away from the fire.
- Loosely pile a few handfuls of tinder in the center of the fire pit.
- Ignite the tinder with a match or lighter.
- Wait until the match is cold, and discard it into the fire.
- Add kindling and fuel, the larger firewood, as it grows and to keep it going.
- Keep the fire small and under control.
How to Extinguish your Campfire
- Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible.
- Pour plenty of water on the fire. Drown ALL material, not just the visibly red material. Pour until hissing sounds stop.
- If you do not have water, stir dirt or sand into the embers with a shovel to bury the fire.
- With your shovel, scrape any remaining sticks and logs to remove any embers. Make sure that no embers are exposed and still smoldering.
- Continue adding water, dirt or sand and stirring with a shovel until all material is cool.
- Remember: If it’s too hot to touch, it’s too hot to leave. Pack it in, Pack it out. It is your responsibility to pack out everything that you packed in, including any trash.
Between professional fire damage services, or fire safety tips. SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda is here to provide 24/7 fire damage services. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information.
At-Risk Types of Businesses for Commercial Mold Damage in Sacramento
SERVPRO Can Remediate Mold Infestations in All Kinds of Businesses
Moisture in homes can allow for many types of mold. Molds are highly adaptable and can grow in many environments and conditions. The most common threads between mold are moisture, darkness, plentiful food sources, and moderate temperatures. Different businesses and different types will have varying environments for this mold to grow, meaning that your commercial property may be more or less susceptible to mold depending on the business. Below is a list of a few of the types of businesses that are most susceptible, though we receive calls from all types of businesses with mold issues.
Industrial Settings - Some settings with moist environments can be excellent for mold growth. Commercial areas often with unused areas, lots of corners, and neglected space are perfect places for mold growth. Industrial workers also have a tendency to ignore mold growth under the assumption that it is a mess from another part of the job.
Apartments, Rental Properties, and Hotels - Mold tends to want to live where we want to live given the moderate temperatures we keep ourselves. As a result of this, landlords and hotel owners are some of the most afflicted business owners when it comes to mold, especially when spaces are inhabited frequently and for short periods of time. Renters can contribute to mold growth without knowing, and with their short stay may not notice it while they are there. Regular checkups are essential in the fight against long term mold growth.
Restaurants - Food service is the most common business for mold damage in Sacramento. With food preparation, there is an ample source of nutrients, plenty of water, and a humid working environment. Unnoticed scraps of food can fall, or find itself out of sight where mold can grow and spread.
SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda offers professional damage restoration and cleaning services, with the training needed for even the toughest commercial jobs. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or view our mold services here
Sacramento 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – 916-991-1522
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
Your name and contact information
Your insurance information (if applicable)
The street address of the water-damaged home or business
When did the flooding or water damage occur?
What caused the water damage (if known)?
Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Sacramento Flood Damage - Facts about Flood Damage in Sacramento
SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda here to give you facts about flood damage in Sacramento
Everyone resides in a flood zone. Even dry areas can experience flash floods, especially after a drought with heavy rainfall. Rivers, streams, and lakes can overflow with a few extra rainy days.
A few inches of water can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your Sacramento home. Flood damage can also affect your Sacramento commercial building. It is possible that your insurance plan does not cover flood damage because you may not be an immediate risk to this common type of home damage.
Here are some facts and prevention tips about flood damage:
- Flood damage, on average, can cost around $5,000 to $10,000. How much damage, and the cost to repair that depends on what type of water affected your property, and how much water there was.
- Having a plumber inspect and flush your water heater at least once a year is a recommended way to prevent failure, and subsequent flooding of water from that container.
- Survey your house, inspect, and replace rubber hoses that are old, worn, or may become faulty. Metal or braided hoses will not go hard and burst like rubber, and continue to check all hoses.
- Toilet leaks will appear as a small leakage from the base of the toilet, check for these to see if this needs to be repaired.
- When moving into a new apartment, space, or business, locate the main water shutoff. If something bursts, you need to know where this is quickly to be able to prevent further damage.
- Always keep your eye out for unwanted moisture, or signs of water damage on your walls or ceilings.
- Often leaks or breaks in plumbing happen where pipes can’t be seen. If you suspect a leak, turn off all water usage. Then, check your water meter, wait an hour, and check again. If you have used any more water, you will know you have a leak.
- Furthermore, if you have a spike in your water bill you may have a leak. Keep an eye on these to make sure you are properly informed about your Sacramento home or business.
If or when you experience flood damage in your Sacramento home, call SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for storm or water damage information.
Restoring Your Sacramento Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Sacramento commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible
Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Water Leaks, Not a Flood but Still a Problem
Proper training and proper tools will SAVE you money, time, and effort
Hidden water damages in your home or business can cause damage directly related to water such as discoloration, structural problems, and rises in your water bill. Small water leaks more often will cause larger secondary issues such as mold and mildew in your home.
As a result of the slow water leak, there is no real noticeable problem for a period of time. As a result of this, areas around the water leak are allowed to become humid and damp, and with this comes mold and mildew growth. Be sure to keep an eye out in your home for signs of minor water damage in your ceilings or walls, perhaps paint separating from the ceiling, sagging in these areas, or water spots.
If you notice any of these issues, or even smell mold and mildew be sure to call for professional help. SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda is trained and ready to find and fix these issues. When your water event happens, call us at (916) 991-1522 immediately.
Wet Leaves Will Cause Mold in Sacramento, “The City of Trees”
Wet leaves on the ground can make for the perfect conditions for mold growth this fall in Sacramento
Mold is a natural and healthy part of leaf decomposition. In some aspects, leaf mold is even wanted for compost and gardening for its properties when mixed with the soil. However, when leaves are left outside to decompose on your sidewalk and yard, you can end up tracking excess mold into your house.
This fall the City of Trees will drop its leaves, and the streets of sidewalks of Sacramento will be covered. Street cleaning programs aside, when it comes to your property you are responsible for taking care of the leaves. When left on the ground, the leaves will begin decomposing and between the moderate climate of Sacramento and the naturally wet habitat of these leaves, they will produce mold. To drive down the amount of mold spores in the air, on your pets and family, and ultimately in your house, it is important that you pick up the leaves and put them in your compost, the street if there is weekly leaf collection, or in your yard waste bin.
For all of your storm, mold, fire, and water needs SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda is here to help. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or explore more of our website for more information about mold, water, fire safety, or our services and expertise.
Why Water Damage Requires Professional Help
Proper training and proper tools will SAVE you money, time, and effort
When a water disaster strikes your home, acting quickly is important. We’ve spoken at length in our blog about the importance of properly taking care of water loss in your home, but there are a few more reasons why the professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda are important for properly taking care of your home.
In the best case scenario, it is a small water leak coming from a supply line, such as your sink, which means that the water wasn’t contaminated before the loss. Even in this case, there is a large importance to be placed on professional equipment and expertise to take care of the job. 1 house fan won’t get the job done, and neither will 10 house fans. It takes professional equipment, properly managed- a plan in place using trained and professional techniques to take care of the issue.
If you attempt to dry it yourself, you risk taking a much longer time to dry the property. With the humidity in the air from the water loss, this means that you are hugely increasing the likelihood of getting mold. Mold can spread fast as we’ve written about in other blogs, and requires its own set of professional help. Another consideration is that reducing the time it takes to dry a property reduces the damage done. In the case of expanding and contracting wood, stopping the spread of the water loss and removing humidity from the house in critical in preventing further damage.
The worst case is that the source of the water loss was contaminated, whether the source is gray or black water will dictate the severity of the treatment, as well as secondary damages such as odor or extra cleaning that is required.
In all cases, contact SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda for locally owned and operated professional help. We are certified to take care of your water, mold, or fire loss whether it is in a home or business. We are proud to serve our community, and are available 24/7 when your disaster happens. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information about our services.
Sacramento’s Storms This Winter: Sump Pumps & Flood Prevention
A flood isn’t necessarily a monsoon, water can seep into your basement and you need to prevent it
A roof leak, or a growing pool of water outside due to a blocked drain may seem like the most common types of flooding. Most houses with basements have sump pumps, and it is important to keep these pumps clear of debris in order to prevent flooding due to water in the basement. The danger in a flooded basement lies in the uses we have for it, often we use it for storing old family heirlooms or tools which can be quickly ruined by water.
Sump pump maintenance should be done at least annually to make sure that it will perform properly when the next larger than average storm hits. Testing it with water, cleaning any filtration, and emptying the pit of debris are all good ways to keep it operating properly.
When the next disaster strikes your Sacramento home, be sure to call SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda. We are ready and able to professionally restore and repair your water loss event. Call us 24/7 for your emergency at (916) 991-1522.