Firework Damage at Your Sacramento Business or Home?
This celebration season, consider SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda for your soot, smoke, or fire damage needs
Smoke or Soot Damage?
SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda has specialized, certified, and trained professionals to help you with your needs. With our help, we can return your salvageable personal belongings, or commercial merchandise back to its original condition. Cleaning and Odor Control technicians can then remove or otherwise fix lingering smoke odors after soot cleaning has taken place.
Our service professionals are ready and able for fire damage of any size in Sacramento. Highly trained and certified Fire Restoration Technicians are available to help you anytime, 24/7. This means we are here to help you when the unimaginable may occur this Fourth of July.
Firefighting efforts, while necessary, may likely cause water damage as well. SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda is prepared with our advanced drying techniques and equipment to start the restoration process as soon as possible. IICRC certifications mean we are ready and able to get your property dried swiftly and thoroughly.
If you’re faced with fire damage to your Sacramento home, business, or property; give us a call at (916) 991-1522 or visit our website for more information.
Tips on Firework Safety in California
Keep those water buckets around!
15,600 fires are started every year by fireworks, according to the National Fire Protection Association. By taking the proper safety precautions, many of these fires could have been easily avoided. If you want to enjoy the celebrations without the risks of fire, go to a professional show. Professional shows are big, fun, and most importantly- safe.
If you still can’t resist having your own firework celebration, here is a list of the recommended safety precautions from the National Council on Firework Safety.
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
With Fourth of July coming up, SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda wish you a fun and safe Fourth of July!
Different Causes of Commercial Water Damage
SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda provides business owners with commercial water damage restoration services
Most businesses have a source of water in their building. For some, this may be crucial, others it may be secondary. Whether it's water for a client such as food preparation, or services such as dentistry or cleaning, all water sources are at risk for leaks or breakage. Failures in these systems, high pressure or not, can and will lead to water damage in your commercial business. SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda is here to help Sacramento businesses with their water damage based issues.
There are a multitude of ways to receive water damage, but the best way to solve this issue is to allow trained professionals to assess the damage and act accordingly. Our North Highlands and Rio Linda SERVPRO technicians are prepared and IICRC certified to tackle water damage due to flooding, toilet overflows, sewer backups, pipe breakages, and more. Even clean water needs to be removed professionally to prevent further damage. Dirty water from sewage, drains, or floods especially needs expert care and removal to prevent the spread of pathogens that may exist in these conditions.
Damage will often be visible, but can just as well not be readily apparent to you. When it comes to bacteria and pathogens, this is especially critical as uncleaned areas from these issues can and will spread. Furthermore, water can spread into materials, damage, warp, and ultimately permanently change them.
An important part of the drying process for the quickest cleaning, is the pack-away of items off-site. This provides security from damage during the cleaning and repairing process and also protects against theft of supplies and inventory. SERVPRO is here to help.
If you face water damage, commercial or otherwise in sacramento: call us at (916) 991-1522. We are available 24/7 to help with get your business back on track. For more information on commercial services, visit our website.
Is Your Sacramento Home At-Risk for Water Heater Failure?
Proper checkups and maintenance may save you from this often-overlooked water damage risk.
Water heaters are often overlooked as a sign of extreme failure. Many times, people forget about their water heater at all until they find themselves with cold water. Paying attention to these small signs may save you big before your next water disaster.
Strange Noises and Leaks:
- Sediment buildup inside of the tank can give rise to these signs
- Leaks from the header can cause flooding and water damage
- Any bangs, gurgling, popping, or creaking may indicate something is wrong with your water heater
- If you can hear water boiling, this is a strong indication that water is being overheated or that pressure is building inside of the tank as a result of a blockage
- Address these issues immediately to prevent further damage.
Smell and Color:
- Hot water with a rusty smell, or color can indicate malfunctions
- Rusty anode rods in the water heater need to be replaced to maintain integrity of the basin
- Odd smells could also be due to bacteria growth, if the water heater has been off for a period of time
- Off color water is a tell-tale sign that something from the water heater to the exit point has corroded
- Sediments appearing in the water is also a sign that the pipes have degraded over time
- Have the water heater inspected by an industry professional before taking appropriate steps
Acting on these telltale signs can be a great preventative measure against possible water damage to your Sacramento home or business. For more information on our water damage services, visit our website or call us at (916) 991-1522.
Preparing for Bad Weather
Regardless of the season, bad weather can strike at anytime. What bad weather is might change person to person, but it is smart to prepare for difficult weather in advance. Stockpiling a few items and preparing an emergency kit will help you stay safe. Here are a few items you can throw together for your home emergency kit.
A battery operated weather radio will allow you to stay up to date with information, even when the power goes out. Having extra batteries for this, and your other devices can allow you to continue to have flashlights and communication during power outages.
When living in areas that can be cold, a small generator on hand is smart. If the power goes out, and you need to produce heat, the generator will put you on the safe side of this situation. Its also smart to purchase generators in off seasons, such as late spring, summer, or fall when they are cheaper and not in demand.
Bad weather doesn’t always come when you're at home, so prepare your car for these situations as well. Make that next trip to Tahoe this summer just that much safer!
Having a few extra non-expirable food items for these situations can be a pertinent decision as well. Bottled water is a must, but some other common items to buy include granola bars, soups, dry milk, and anything that comes in a can.
If the next big storm in Sacramento causes damage to your property, be sure to call SERVPRO of Rio Linda and North Highlands to help you make it “Like It Never Even Happened”. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information.
Common Mold Locations in Your Sacramento Home
Mold spores are constantly floating around just about everywhere. As a result of this, and given the right conditions, mold may show up in your home or business at any time. Even if you maintain a general level of cleanliness around your property, mold will still find the conditions it needs to survive and spread.
- Anywhere there is moisture, mold can be present
- Check your shower, this means grout, any products, small spaces, or above the shower area
- Under your sink, you may not notice that a pipe has started to leak creating a perfect environment for mold
- Leaking in your shower or bathtub may also go unnoticed and cause mold to grow beneath these items
- Check for mold under carpets, spilled drinks or food can offer mold a prime place for growth
- Window seals, water may become trapped and give mold an ideal environment for growth
- Brickwork, an exposed chimney or other brickwork can allow moisture to be trapped in between bricks, giving rise to mold growth
- Your fridge may be hiding mold under, or behind it
- Garbage can will often have moisture and plenty of food for mold to thrive on, check the container and lid for mold growth
After checking these places, if you still suspect mold growth, call SERVPRO of Rio Linda and North Highlands to have professionals inspect your home. Call us at (916) 991-1522 or visit our website for more information.
Sacramento Campfire Safety Tips for Camping Season 2017
Tips to stay safe this camping season, from SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda
Even though we aren’t in a drought, it still the dry season. It is always important to stay safe no matter the conditions when making a fire, for your safety and the safety of others. Here are some safety tips on how to pick a spot, prepare your fire, and extinguish it properly.
How to Pick a Campfire Spot
- DO NOT build a campfire if the campground, area or event rules prohibit them.
- DO NOT build a campfire in hazardous, dry conditions.
- Find Out if the campground has an existing fire ring or fire pit.
- If there is not an existing fire pit, and pits are allowed, choose a site at least 15 feet from tent walls, shrubs, trees or other flammable objects. Beware of low-hanging branches.
- Choose an open, level location away from fuels such as logs, brush or decaying leaves.
- Take wind, and its direction, into account when choosing the site. Choose a spot that’s protected from gusts.
How to Prepare your Campfire Pit
- Clear a 10-foot-diameter area around the site. Remove any grass, twigs, leaves and firewood.
- Dig a pit in the dirt, about a foot deep.
- Circle the pit with rocks.
How to Build Your Campfire
- Make sure you have a source of water, a bucket and shovel nearby at all times.
- Gather three types of wood from the ground always. Never cut whole trees or branches, dead or alive. Live or fresh materials won’t burn, and you’ll be damaging the forest. Dead standing trees often are homes for birds and other wildlife.
- Tinder: Small twigs and dry leaves grass and needles.
- Kindling: Sticks smaller than 1″ around.
- Fuel: Larger pieces of wood. Keep these stacked upwind, away from the fire.
- Loosely pile a few handfuls of tinder in the center of the fire pit.
- Ignite the tinder with a match or lighter.
- Wait until the match is cold, and discard it into the fire.
- Add kindling and fuel, the larger firewood, as it grows and to keep it going.
- Keep the fire small and under control.
How to Extinguish your Campfire
- Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible.
- Pour plenty of water on the fire. Drown ALL material, not just the visibly red material. Pour until hissing sounds stop.
- If you do not have water, stir dirt or sand into the embers with a shovel to bury the fire.
- With your shovel, scrape any remaining sticks and logs to remove any embers. Make sure that no embers are exposed and still smoldering.
- Continue adding water, dirt or sand and stirring with a shovel until all material is cool.
- Remember: If it’s too hot to touch, it’s too hot to leave. Pack it in, Pack it out. It is your responsibility to pack out everything that you packed in, including any trash.
Between professional fire damage services, or fire safety tips. SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda is here to provide 24/7 fire damage services. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information.
At-Risk Types of Businesses for Commercial Mold Damage in Sacramento
SERVPRO Can Remediate Mold Infestations in All Kinds of Businesses
Moisture in homes can allow for many types of mold. Molds are highly adaptable and can grow in many environments and conditions. The most common threads between mold are moisture, darkness, plentiful food sources, and moderate temperatures. Different businesses and different types will have varying environments for this mold to grow, meaning that your commercial property may be more or less susceptible to mold depending on the business. Below is a list of a few of the types of businesses that are most susceptible, though we receive calls from all types of businesses with mold issues.
Industrial Settings - Some settings with moist environments can be excellent for mold growth. Commercial areas often with unused areas, lots of corners, and neglected space are perfect places for mold growth. Industrial workers also have a tendency to ignore mold growth under the assumption that it is a mess from another part of the job.
Apartments, Rental Properties, and Hotels - Mold tends to want to live where we want to live given the moderate temperatures we keep ourselves. As a result of this, landlords and hotel owners are some of the most afflicted business owners when it comes to mold, especially when spaces are inhabited frequently and for short periods of time. Renters can contribute to mold growth without knowing, and with their short stay may not notice it while they are there. Regular checkups are essential in the fight against long term mold growth.
Restaurants - Food service is the most common business for mold damage in Sacramento. With food preparation, there is an ample source of nutrients, plenty of water, and a humid working environment. Unnoticed scraps of food can fall, or find itself out of sight where mold can grow and spread.
SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda offers professional damage restoration and cleaning services, with the training needed for even the toughest commercial jobs. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or view our mold services here
Sacramento 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – 916-991-1522
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
Your name and contact information
Your insurance information (if applicable)
The street address of the water-damaged home or business
When did the flooding or water damage occur?
What caused the water damage (if known)?
Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Sacramento Flood Damage - Facts about Flood Damage in Sacramento
SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda here to give you facts about flood damage in Sacramento
Everyone resides in a flood zone. Even dry areas can experience flash floods, especially after a drought with heavy rainfall. Rivers, streams, and lakes can overflow with a few extra rainy days.
A few inches of water can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to your Sacramento home. Flood damage can also affect your Sacramento commercial building. It is possible that your insurance plan does not cover flood damage because you may not be an immediate risk to this common type of home damage.
Here are some facts and prevention tips about flood damage:
- Flood damage, on average, can cost around $5,000 to $10,000. How much damage, and the cost to repair that depends on what type of water affected your property, and how much water there was.
- Having a plumber inspect and flush your water heater at least once a year is a recommended way to prevent failure, and subsequent flooding of water from that container.
- Survey your house, inspect, and replace rubber hoses that are old, worn, or may become faulty. Metal or braided hoses will not go hard and burst like rubber, and continue to check all hoses.
- Toilet leaks will appear as a small leakage from the base of the toilet, check for these to see if this needs to be repaired.
- When moving into a new apartment, space, or business, locate the main water shutoff. If something bursts, you need to know where this is quickly to be able to prevent further damage.
- Always keep your eye out for unwanted moisture, or signs of water damage on your walls or ceilings.
- Often leaks or breaks in plumbing happen where pipes can’t be seen. If you suspect a leak, turn off all water usage. Then, check your water meter, wait an hour, and check again. If you have used any more water, you will know you have a leak.
- Furthermore, if you have a spike in your water bill you may have a leak. Keep an eye on these to make sure you are properly informed about your Sacramento home or business.
If or when you experience flood damage in your Sacramento home, call SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for storm or water damage information.