Flood Facts that are Need-To-Know!
Flood facts that may Surprise You:
- Floods ranked #1 in the United States for natural disasters.
- Two feet of rushing water can easily carry a car away.
- Flash floods are known to bring walls of water 10 to 15 feet high.
- There is a risk of 1 in 4 chances of a flood damaging your home with a 30 year period in a high-risk area.
- Homes in high-risk flood areas are more likely to suffer from water damage than fire damage.
- Most basic homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
- Areas experiencing new land development are at an increased risk of flooding, especially if the construction changes the natural runoff paths.
- For the last decade, total flood insurance claims averages more than $3.4 billion per year.
Now that you know some interesting facts about floods, how can you prevent floods from damaging your home? Below are a couple of tips on ways you can prevent water damage from floods.
Check for dark spots and other signs of water damage under your pipes and inside cabinets. Check for water stains on ceilings and toilets that aren’t secured to the floor. Take a moment to inspect your roof for missing or loose shingles. Repair any cracked caulking and check your windows and door frames for any damage or gaps.
Don’t delay addressing water damage – you may not be able to see the extent of the damage until it is too late. If you find a leak, and put it off, it could cause serious damage and even lead to significant mold growth.
If your property does suffer water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda to handle your clean up and restoration needs. We provide emergency response 24/7 and will always respond quickly in your time of need. Contact us at 916-991-1522.