How Quickly Does a Christmas Tree Fire Burn the House Down?
How fast can Christmas tree fires spread? In controlled tests, fire researchers found that a dry Christmas tree can become engulfed in less than 10 seconds. And “flashover” occurs roughly 70 seconds after an un-watered tree is ignited.
Christmas is a happy time of year, and let’s keep it that way. Please check off your Christmas tree fire safety list.
Christmas Tree Fire Safety
- Fresh trees are less likely to catch fire, so look for a tree with vibrant green needles that are hard to pluck and don’t break easily from its branches. The tree shouldn’t be shedding its needles readily.
- Always place your tree away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights, and keep the tree base filled with water to avoid a dry out.
- Make sure all your indoor and outdoor Christmas lights have been tested, and throw out any damaged lights.
- Any lights you use outdoors must be labeled suitable for exterior placement, and be sure to plug them into a ground-fault circuit interrupter protected receptacle.
- Keep all your holiday candles away from your Christmas tree, surrounding furniture and décor.
- Bedtime means lights off! don’t forget to turn your Christmas tree lights off each night.
Happy Holidays from SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda. If you do have any fire or smoke damage to your property remember to give SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda a call at 916-991-1522.
We Meet All Your Restoration Needs
If your home or business has restoration and clean up needs, SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda is there for you!
Our SERVPRO professionals have been assisting the greater Sacramento area with restoration services such as:
- Fire and Smoke Damage
- Water and Flood Damage
- Mold Damage
- Bio Hazard / Sewage Damage
- Vandalism Related Damage
- Storm / Disaster Related Damage
- Cleaning Services ~ Including Covid-19 Cleaning Services
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda has the knowledge and experience dealing with many different restoration services. We understand the stress and confusion it causes and our office personnel have the experience and are more than happy to address any confusion or concerns you may have in your time of need. Call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda 24/7 at 916-991-1522.
What is a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Program?
You probably know the importance of having an emergency kit or emergency plan ready for action in case disaster strikes. If you are a business owner then you know that OSHA requires you to have some sort of emergency action plan to help ensure you and your employee’s safety.
But what about your property. Do you know what to do after the disaster and how to get your business back on track as quickly as possible? What does insurance cover, does everything need to be rebuilt, can we use our equipment again, and when can people go inside and get back to work, the question go on and on…
At SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda we know the headache that follows a disaster and the need to have everything go back to normal. We are here 24/7 to answer your calls and quickly start the process of making it "Like it never even happened." We also provide a free program that will help decrease your stress during the aftermath of the disaster.
Like an emergency kit or emergency plan we have the Emergency Ready Program. By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your commercial property, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
This Program is;
- Free – No cost assessment of your facility
- It is easy and doesn’t take long to create your company profile
- It was designed to contain the critical information needed in case of an emergency
- Provides a quick reference of what to do, who to call, and details such as shut-off valve locations
- Establishes your local SERVPRO, SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda as your disaster restoration provider
- Helps you understand the order of action that authorizes disaster work to begin - This minimizes time which saves you money and gets you conducting business sooner
For more information on commercial disaster mitigation and restoration call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda at 916-991-1522. Or click here for more information on the Emergency Ready Program.
Rain isn't the ONLY thing that Causes Water Damage
Most people when they think of water damage they think of rain and storms. Things like roof leaks, and flooding comes to mind. But that is not the only thing that causes water damage. In fact most of the time the culprit is something inside your property.
Some of those culprits may include:
- Aging Water Heaters
- Bursting Water Pipes
- Toilet Overflows
- Washing Machine Leaks
- Plumbing issues
All can cause quite the problem once the water is flowing. But we are here to help. The professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda have seen it all. Wondering if the water issue in your home is something that needs water remediation, give us a call 24/7 at 916-991-1522. We can answer your questions and get you on the right track. Remember being proactive is best because the longer water sits the worse and more expansive the damage will be.
How to Properly React to Mold
If you see visible mold… Your first instinct may be to clean it up quickly and get it out of your house, but do not disturb it. Sometimes when mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home. Inevitably spreading the mold infestation throughout your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Touch or disturb the mold.
- Blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Dry the area yourself.
- Spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 916-991-1522
Making a Home Fire Escape Plan
Fires are scary, dangerous, and leave little time for planning. The fire can spread quickly and leave as little as 2 minutes to escape your home.
Here are some escape planning tips:
- Get everyone in your house together to make an evacuation plan.
- All walk through your house and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. (If you have small children it is a good idea to draw a floor plan or you home) You should have 2 escape routes out of every room.
- Choose an outside meeting place a safe distance away from the fire.
- After making your plan, do a test run fire drill with everyone. While going through your plan, check to make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily. If windows or doors in your home have security bars, make sure that the bars have emergency release devices inside so that they can be opened immediately in an emergency.
- Once you are out safe, stay out. Do not go back inside the building for any reason. If someone is missing, inform the fire dispatcher when you call.
- Install Smoke detectors in all bedrooms that people sleep in.
- Make sure your street number is visible from the street for emergency responders.
- Have everyone in the house memorize the emergency phone number for the fire department.
- As escaping the fire close doors on your way out to slow the spread of smoke.
- If there are older adults, infants, or household members with mobility limitations, make sure that someone is assigned to assist them ahead of time and have them practice together during the drill.
- Tell guests or visitors in your home about the fire escape plan. When staying overnight at other people’s homes, ask about their plan.
Here at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda we want everyone to be safe and hope you don’t have to go through the stress of a home fire. But if you do we are here for the after math. We're experienced and know how to get you through the stress and frustration caused by a fire disaster. We are there for you every step of the way. We have 24/7 emergency service so call today with your questions and concerns at 916-991-1522.
Resources: National Fire Protection Association.
National Fire Protection Association has free fire escape planning tools literature here.
What is a Workplace Emergency?
An unexpected emergency such as a natural disaster can strike at any time. A workplace emergency/disaster, is an unexpected situation that jeopardizes your employees, customers, and/or public. It can cause physical or environmental changes and a disruption to your business operations or possibly shuts your business down completely.
Workplace emergencies can be manmade or natural disasters, some examples include:
- Toxic gas
- Workplace Violence (that results in bodily harm, trauma, or death)
- Civil Disturbances
If you experience a workplace emergency with damage to your property give SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda a call. Our staff is experienced and can help you understand what needs to be done next to get your business running as soon as possible. We are here for you, call us at (916)991-1522. You may also want to check out our free Emergency Ready Program, click here for more info.
Why Choose SERVPRO?
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda professionals arrive quickly and are trained and equipped to help you regain control of your life and help to make your property, "Like it never even happened."
Mitigation requires quick action. The faster SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda arrives to the property to preform water and smoke cleanup, the better the result.
Timely Service Response
- Within one hour from notice of loss, a SERVPRO Professional will contact you to arrange for service.
- Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRP Professional will be on-site to start mitigation services.
- Within eight business hours of on-site property arrival our SERVPRO Professional will verbal briefing and have the scope ready to be communicated to the adjuster assigned to your loss.
Faster Work Completion
We know the stress a loss at your property can cause. The quicker we get to work the less work that will need to be done, and the less stress you will have because the mitigation will be done sooner. SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda has professionals dedicated to providing 24-hour emergency services, 365 days a year.
Is Your Business Prepared for the Cold?
Fall is Becoming Winter!
Is your commercial building winter ready? In the greater Sacramento area we can get some pretty cold winter nights. During those cold nights our commercial properties could experience pipes freezing and they can crack causing a significant water loss. This kind of loss is very frustrating and could cause more damage than we think.
If your commercial property has experienced a significant water loss from a cracked water pipe, follow these few simple tips:
- Turn off the main water valve immediately
- If any flooding occurred and power cords and plugs are affected shut off power to those rooms.
- Call the professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda.
If you have a water loss of any type call our highly trained technicians at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda. Our staff has experience with pipe burst emergencies and have 24/7 emergency service. Call us at 916-991-1522 to help get your commercial property restored.
We Have the Right Equipment for Water Mitigation!
Why choose SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda for water damage in your property? Because we have the knowledge, and best equipment to get the job done right!
Our team will answer your call with fast action, exceptional equipment and trained personnel. We know that using proper equipment makes a significant difference. The right tool for the job is vital for timely mitigation.
Psychrometry is the study of the air and its properties. The properties of temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point are measured to evaluate air conditions in the structure. This knowledge allows our technicians to create the proper atmosphere for more efficient drying.
Water can damage materials two ways:
- Materials absorb water through direct contact.
- Materials absorb water from the air.
Thus, measuring the moisture in the air is critical to the drying process.
As restoration specialist, technicians at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda must use their knowledge of Psychrometrics to establish an environment favorable for drying. But another key part to making and keeping this environment is proper use of our equipment.
Before beginning work it is important for our technicians to scope the job. Scoping is, locating the areas of the structure that water has intruded and defining the extent to which the structure and contents have absorbed moisture. This is where moisture detection devices come in, because just by looking at the structures and contents you cannot measure just how wet it is. In fact some of the structure won’t even look wet but inside it can have lots of moisture, that if left can then cause mold growth. Here are some of the detection equipment we use.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets and carpet padding.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. We use these to monitor the drying process.
- Thermo-hygrometers measure both temperature and relative humidity. With both of these readings our technicians can use their psychrometric knowledge to calculate specific humididty, dew point and vapor pressure.
- Infrared Cameras can identify the location and extent of moisture in walls very effectively.
- Manometers allows our technicians to measure the difference in air pressure when creating a negative air pressure environment.
Extraction is the most effective method of removing moisture form a structure. When water is extracted quickly, the environment can usually be dried much faster.
- Extractors are equipment that use water extraction in the process of removing all standing water and excess moisture from the property. They are used in cleaning carpets and upholstery, as well as removing water from floors following water damage. Extractors can either be truck-mounted or portable, allowing for greater access inside structures.
Air Moving Equipment
Air movers are used in water damage restoration to enhance evaporation at the surface level, which results in reducing drying time. As airflow at the surface level increases, the moisture in the air increases. This moisture is then eliminated through proper use of dehumidification equipment. Many different types of air movers are used depending on the location of the moisture and the surface being dried.
Dehumidifiers pull in the moist, humid air and then discharge dry, warm air. The dry air acts like a sponge, absorbing moister from wet materials.
- Refrigerant Dehumidifiers work similarly to air conditioners.
- Desiccant Dehumidifiers use chemicals, called desiccants, which readily absorb moister from the air.
For more information on water mitigation call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda. We have emergency service 24/7, call 916-991-1522.