Importance of Carbon Monoxide Alarms.
All homes and commercial properties should have CO alarms to keep your family and friends safe.
If you have a generator on hand for power outages during severe weather storms, follow the safety tips below from the American Red Cross:
Never use a generator, grill or camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use in rain or wet conditions. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
Opening doors or windows and using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Although CO can’t be seen and has no scent, it is very dangerous and can rapidly lead to loss of consciousness and death.
Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home or property and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
If your home or business suffers from any type of storm damage, call SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda at 916-991-1522 and we will send a professional out to assist with making your home safe for you and your family.
The Mold Remediation Process
Before and After a Mold Remediation.
- Contact Us at 916-991-1522 The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel to best suit your needs.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold Containment Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold spores. We may use advanced containment procedures to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and HVAC systems must be turned off to prevent the spread of spores throughout the home.
- Air Filtration Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these spores during the mold remediation process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use anti fungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and all restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Restoration Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.
Commercial Sewage Backup
Sewage debris in a main hallway.
Here at SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda, we know just how important it is to recover after a loss. Whether it be fire damage, water damage, mold issue, storm damage, or any number of issues, our goal is to get you and your business back up and running as fast as possible.
Sewage Backup in Local Building
A local property manager called recently about a sewage backup they had. They were rather worried that they may have to shut down, and did not want it to impede on their business. We reassured them we would be there as soon as possible to handle the situation. Our crew went in and got the sewage cleaned up within a day or so. The property manager was thrilled that they did not have to shut down and so appreciative that we got there so quick and handled everything.
If you experience any kind of damage in your commercial business, give us a call at (916) 991-1522.
Flood Facts that are Need-To-Know!
Dripping wet insulation!
Flood facts that may Surprise You:
- Floods ranked #1 in the United States for natural disasters.
- Two feet of rushing water can easily carry a car away.
- Flash floods are known to bring walls of water 10 to 15 feet high.
- There is a risk of 1 in 4 chances of a flood damaging your home with a 30 year period in a high-risk area.
- Homes in high-risk flood areas are more likely to suffer from water damage than fire damage.
- Most basic homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
- Areas experiencing new land development are at an increased risk of flooding, especially if the construction changes the natural runoff paths.
- For the last decade, total flood insurance claims averages more than $3.4 billion per year.
Now that you know some interesting facts about floods, how can you prevent floods from damaging your home? Below are a couple of tips on ways you can prevent water damage from floods.
Check for dark spots and other signs of water damage under your pipes and inside cabinets. Check for water stains on ceilings and toilets that aren’t secured to the floor. Take a moment to inspect your roof for missing or loose shingles. Repair any cracked caulking and check your windows and door frames for any damage or gaps.
Don’t delay addressing water damage – you may not be able to see the extent of the damage until it is too late. If you find a leak, and put it off, it could cause serious damage and even lead to significant mold growth.
If your property does suffer water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda to handle your clean up and restoration needs. We provide emergency response 24/7 and will always respond quickly in your time of need. Contact us at 916-991-1522.
Got Mold? We Can Fix That!
Mold isn't always black, know what you're looking at and Call us for help.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. When mold is disturbed, it can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home using your HVAC system and any fans you have on.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and ALL fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda specializes in mold remediation, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are IICRC trained and certified restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly clean and resolve your mold problem quickly and safely. The safety and health of you and your family are our biggest concern.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 916.991.1522
Firework Damage at Your Sacramento Business or Home?
This celebration season, consider SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda for your soot, smoke, or fire damage needs
Smoke or Soot Damage?
SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda has specialized, certified, and trained professionals to help you with your needs. With our help, we can return your salvageable personal belongings, or commercial merchandise back to its original condition. Cleaning and Odor Control technicians can then remove or otherwise fix lingering smoke odors after soot cleaning has taken place.
Our service professionals are ready and able for fire damage of any size in Sacramento. Highly trained and certified Fire Restoration Technicians are available to help you anytime, 24/7. This means we are here to help you when the unimaginable may occur this Fourth of July.
Firefighting efforts, while necessary, may likely cause water damage as well. SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda is prepared with our advanced drying techniques and equipment to start the restoration process as soon as possible. IICRC certifications mean we are ready and able to get your property dried swiftly and thoroughly.
If you’re faced with fire damage to your Sacramento home, business, or property; give us a call at (916) 991-1522 or visit our website for more information.
Tips on Firework Safety in California
Keep those water buckets around!
15,600 fires are started every year by fireworks, according to the National Fire Protection Association. By taking the proper safety precautions, many of these fires could have been easily avoided. If you want to enjoy the celebrations without the risks of fire, go to a professional show. Professional shows are big, fun, and most importantly- safe.
If you still can’t resist having your own firework celebration, here is a list of the recommended safety precautions from the National Council on Firework Safety.
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
With Fourth of July coming up, SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda wish you a fun and safe Fourth of July!
Different Causes of Commercial Water Damage
SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda provides business owners with commercial water damage restoration services
Most businesses have a source of water in their building. For some, this may be crucial, others it may be secondary. Whether it's water for a client such as food preparation, or services such as dentistry or cleaning, all water sources are at risk for leaks or breakage. Failures in these systems, high pressure or not, can and will lead to water damage in your commercial business. SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda is here to help Sacramento businesses with their water damage based issues.
There are a multitude of ways to receive water damage, but the best way to solve this issue is to allow trained professionals to assess the damage and act accordingly. Our North Highlands and Rio Linda SERVPRO technicians are prepared and IICRC certified to tackle water damage due to flooding, toilet overflows, sewer backups, pipe breakages, and more. Even clean water needs to be removed professionally to prevent further damage. Dirty water from sewage, drains, or floods especially needs expert care and removal to prevent the spread of pathogens that may exist in these conditions.
Damage will often be visible, but can just as well not be readily apparent to you. When it comes to bacteria and pathogens, this is especially critical as uncleaned areas from these issues can and will spread. Furthermore, water can spread into materials, damage, warp, and ultimately permanently change them.
An important part of the drying process for the quickest cleaning, is the pack-away of items off-site. This provides security from damage during the cleaning and repairing process and also protects against theft of supplies and inventory. SERVPRO is here to help.
If you face water damage, commercial or otherwise in sacramento: call us at (916) 991-1522. We are available 24/7 to help with get your business back on track. For more information on commercial services, visit our website.
Is Your Sacramento Home At-Risk for Water Heater Failure?
Proper checkups and maintenance may save you from this often-overlooked water damage risk.
Water heaters are often overlooked as a sign of extreme failure. Many times, people forget about their water heater at all until they find themselves with cold water. Paying attention to these small signs may save you big before your next water disaster.
Strange Noises and Leaks:
- Sediment buildup inside of the tank can give rise to these signs
- Leaks from the header can cause flooding and water damage
- Any bangs, gurgling, popping, or creaking may indicate something is wrong with your water heater
- If you can hear water boiling, this is a strong indication that water is being overheated or that pressure is building inside of the tank as a result of a blockage
- Address these issues immediately to prevent further damage.
Smell and Color:
- Hot water with a rusty smell, or color can indicate malfunctions
- Rusty anode rods in the water heater need to be replaced to maintain integrity of the basin
- Odd smells could also be due to bacteria growth, if the water heater has been off for a period of time
- Off color water is a tell-tale sign that something from the water heater to the exit point has corroded
- Sediments appearing in the water is also a sign that the pipes have degraded over time
- Have the water heater inspected by an industry professional before taking appropriate steps
Acting on these telltale signs can be a great preventative measure against possible water damage to your Sacramento home or business. For more information on our water damage services, visit our website or call us at (916) 991-1522.
Preparing for Bad Weather
Regardless of the season, bad weather can strike at anytime. What bad weather is might change person to person, but it is smart to prepare for difficult weather in advance. Stockpiling a few items and preparing an emergency kit will help you stay safe. Here are a few items you can throw together for your home emergency kit.
A battery operated weather radio will allow you to stay up to date with information, even when the power goes out. Having extra batteries for this, and your other devices can allow you to continue to have flashlights and communication during power outages.
When living in areas that can be cold, a small generator on hand is smart. If the power goes out, and you need to produce heat, the generator will put you on the safe side of this situation. Its also smart to purchase generators in off seasons, such as late spring, summer, or fall when they are cheaper and not in demand.
Bad weather doesn’t always come when you're at home, so prepare your car for these situations as well. Make that next trip to Tahoe this summer just that much safer!
Having a few extra non-expirable food items for these situations can be a pertinent decision as well. Bottled water is a must, but some other common items to buy include granola bars, soups, dry milk, and anything that comes in a can.
If the next big storm in Sacramento causes damage to your property, be sure to call SERVPRO of Rio Linda and North Highlands to help you make it “Like It Never Even Happened”. Call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information.