Keep it From Raining In Your Home
Water intrusion and damage can be a headache inside your home or business. Prevent rainwater from causing a mitigation mess ahead of time with these tips:
Clean Rain Gutters - A clogged rain gutter can send water spilling down the exterior wall, which can result in water between the walls causing water damage and mold growth on the backside of the interior walls.
Roof Maintenance – It can seem obvious that water intrusion is a result of a leaky roof. But, for the most part people imagine a visible waterfall of water coming from the ceiling in their house. This is not always the case. The smallest tear in the rubber protector under your shingles can cause water to slowly be leaking onto the structure wood inside your roof, causing mold and wood rot. Structural damage is never good for your house.
Window Repairs – If the caulking around your windows were not sealed correctly or weather has cause deterioration, water can be leaking into your walls.
Keeping an eye out and taking care of these before winter is ideal, but we know ideal is not always possible in people’s busy lives. If you do have water intrusion inside your home, SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda is available with emergency services 24/7. We are more than happy to help you with all your water mitigation questions and concerns at 916-991-1522.
Have Your Home Ignition Zone Prepared for Fire Season
What is the Home Ignition Zone?
Home ignition zone was developed by the USDA Forest Service. Due to research USDA Forest Service was able to find out how homes ignite due to the heat in different distances from your home. There are 3 different radiuses from your home in the ignition zone. The zones and some information on helping prevent home fires follows.
The home and the area 0-5’ from the furthest attached exterior point of the home; defined as a non-combustible area. Science tells us this is the most important zone to take immediate action on as it is the most vulnerable to embers. START WITH THE HOUSE ITSELF then move into the landscaping section of the Immediate Zone.
- Clean roofs and gutters of dead leaves, debris and pine needles that could catch embers.
- Replace or repair any loose or missing shingles or roof tiles to prevent ember penetration.
- Reduce embers that could pass through vents in the eaves by installing 1/8 inch metal mesh screening.
- Clean debris from exterior attic vents and install 1/8 inch metal mesh screening to reduce embers.
- Repair or replace damaged or loose window screens and any broken windows Screen or box-in areas below patios and decks with wire mesh to prevent debris and combustible materials from accumulating.
- Move any flammable material away from wall exteriors – mulch, flammable plants, leaves and needles, firewood piles – anything that can burn. Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches.
5-30’ from the furthest exterior point of the home. Landscaping/hardscaping- employing careful landscaping or creating breaks that can help influence and decrease fire behavior
- Clear vegetation from under large stationary propane tanks.
- Create fuel breaks with driveways, walkways/paths, patios, and decks.
- Keep lawns and native grasses mowed to a height of four inches.
- Remove ladder fuels (vegetation under trees) so a surface fire cannot reach the crowns. Prune trees up to six to ten feet from the ground; for shorter trees do not exceed 1/3 of the overall tree height.
- Space trees to have a minimum of eighteen feet between crowns with the distance increasing with the percentage of slope.
- Tree placement should be planned to ensure the mature canopy is no closer than ten feet to the edge of the structure.
- Tree and shrubs in this zone should be limited to small clusters of a few each to break up the continuity of the vegetation across the landscape.
30-100 feet, out to 200 feet. Landscaping – the goal here is not to eliminate fire but to interrupt fire’s path and keep flames smaller and on the ground.
- Dispose of heavy accumulations of ground litter/debris.
- Remove dead plant and tree material.
- Remove small conifers growing between mature trees.
- Remove vegetation adjacent to storage sheds or other outbuildings within this area.
- Trees 30 to 60 feet from the home should have at least 12 feet between canopy tops.*
- Trees 60 to 100 feet from the home should have at least 6 feet between the canopy tops.
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda hopes that you and your family are disaster free but if a property fire does affect you, we are ready to help. For all of your fire, smoke, and other cleaning and restoration needs call us at (916) 991-1522. We have 24/7 emergency services because we know a fire never works with in your schedule.
References: National Fire Protection Association
Is Your Smoke Alarm Protecting You?
Every house has them, not all houses have them on. According to the National Fire Prevention Association:
- In 2014-2018, smoke alarms sounded in more than half (54%) of the home fires reported to U.S. fire departments.
- Almost three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms (41%) or no working smoke alarms (16%).
- The death rate per 1,000 reported home fires was more than twice as high in homes that did not have any working smoke alarms compared to the rate in homes with working smoke alarms (13.0 deaths vs. 5.8 deaths per 1,000 fires).
- In fires in which the smoke alarms were present but did not operate, two of every five (41%) of the smoke alarms had missing or disconnected batteries.
- Dead batteries caused one-quarter (26%) of the smoke alarm failures.
There are plenty of resources online for properly maintaining the specific smoke alarm you have, if you need more help you can contact an electrician, American Red Cross, or local fire department. Alarms, in addition to maintaining power, should be tested monthly with the test button.
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda are professionals when it comes to fire and smoke restoration and clean up. If you do have fire or smoke damage give us a call 24/7 at 916-991-1522.
Happy Mother's Day
It’s Mother’s Day and mom should be taking it easy and relaxing on her special day.
Treat your mom and have her carpet or upholstered furniture professionally cleaned by SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda.
At SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda we clean and restore your carpets and upholstered furniture.
- Professional cleaning will remove dirt, dust, and stains from your upholstery, making it look better and ensuring it lasts longer.
- Professional upholstery and carpet/rug cleaning using steam can kill dust mites, while vacuuming just removes them temporarily. This improves indoor air quality and may reduce symptoms of allergies and asthma.
- Professional cleaning removes other small particles and debris. Things too small for the human eye to see, like bacteria, insect parts, fragrances, chemical fumes from household cleaners, fabric fibers, smoke, mold spores, and pollen are embedded in upholstery fibers.
Call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda today! 916-991-1522
You Can Trust Our Team of Professionals
When you have water, fire, or mold damage inside your property and need to get it back to the way it was before your loss, you’re going to want a company you can trust.
Most home or business owners want to use a company that has the knowledge and specialized equipment to ensure the job is done correctly. Our specialized equipment like our dehumidifiers and air movers help us dry in a timely manner to get you and your property back into your daily routine.
Our team at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda is that trusting company that the customers want to use because we are dependable, knowledgeable, and have exceptional services.
We ensure that all of our technicians are professional and that they are using the specialized equipment that best fits your property needs. Our team also documents everything we do during the process so we can ensure our customers that we aren’t taking any short cuts and are getting the job done correctly.
If you have any restoration questions or concerns call the experts at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda at 916-991-1522.
Water Disaster Do's and Don'ts
Emergency Water Damage Tips (These tips are for clean water situations only.)
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpeting.
If you do have a water loss at your property call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda today at 916-991-1522.
SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda would like to wish you and your family a Happy Easter
We provide 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Sacramento. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
We have Residential Services and Commercial Services
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Bio Hazard/Sanitation Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 916-991-1522
Storms Can Cause Water Damage Quickly, So Fast Action is Key
Here at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda we know that the longer your business stays closed is money out of your pocket.
We know that your business is important to you and getting it back running again as soon as possible is key!
Storms with heavy rain or flooding can cause water damage. The effect of any force of nature on your property can be too severe that the damage can be seen immediately. On the contrary, the damage can be too small that you would not notice it until the damage is already visible. This is due to the fact that heavy rains can also cause water damage, especially when your home is structurally poor. These types of water damage can be too sudden that you would not have time to prepare when it comes.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp
- Drywall begins to swell and break down
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish
- Furniture begins to swell and crack
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain
- A musty odor appears
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp
- Metal begins to rust and corrode
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold
- Paint begins to blister
- Wood flooring swells and warps
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Storm damage can happen at any time that is why SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda are available 24 hours, 7 days a week to be your emergency service specialists. When it comes to water damage with a storm, it is important to act fast. SERVPRO technicians are available to help you now. Visit our website or call us at (916) 991-1522 24/7.
Fire in Your Home or Business?
If you are faced with a property fire resulting in damage to the property, you may be looking at the mess thinking now what. You may also have the urge to start cleaning that black sooty mess off of your belongings.
STOP! Did you know that you could possibly cause more damage to your belongings and cause them to be beyond repair? So… What can you do?
What You Can Do Until Help Arrives
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces. Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
- Do not clean any electrical equipment.
- Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
So, before you risk doing further damage by attempting to clean up the damage yourself, call the professionals at SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda at 916-991-1522.
When Disaster Strikes Call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda
When you call 916-991-1522, a trained, SERVPRO of North Highland / Rio Linda professional will arrive at your property with the equipment necessary to help protect the structure and contents. Your concerns will be addressed quickly and professionally to help begin the process of regaining control of your lives.
We're experienced and know how to get you through the stress and frustration caused by a property disaster. We are there for you every step of the way. We have 24/7 emergency service so call today with your questions and concerns at 916-991-1522.