Importance of Carbon Monoxide Alarms.
If you have a generator on hand for power outages during severe weather storms, follow the safety tips below from the American Red Cross:
Never use a generator, grill or camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
To avoid electrocution, keep the generator dry and do not use in rain or wet conditions. Do not touch the generator with wet hands.
Opening doors or windows and using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Although CO can’t be seen and has no scent, it is very dangerous and can rapidly lead to loss of consciousness and death.
Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home or property and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
If your home or business suffers from any type of storm damage, call SERVPRO of North Highlands/Rio Linda at 916-991-1522 and we will send a professional out to assist with making your home safe for you and your family.