Fireworks Safety Tips in California, From Your Friends at SERVPRO of North Highlands & Rio Linda
SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda Hope You Have Fun and Avoid Fires this Fourth of July!
15,600 fires are started every year by fireworks, according to the National Fire Protection Association. By taking the proper safety precautions, many of these fires could have been easily avoided. If you want to enjoy the celebrations without the risks of fire, go to a professional show. Professional shows are big, fun, and most importantly- safe.
If you still can’t resist having your own firework celebration, here is a list of the recommended safety precautions from the National Council on Firework Safety.
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting
- A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities, and never give fireworks to children
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix, save your drinks for after the show
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away
- Use fireworks outdoors in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles
- Never relight a “dud” firework, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them into metal or glass containers
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day
- FAA regulations prohibit the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department
With Fourth of July coming up, SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda wish you a fun and safe Fourth of July!
For information on fire damage services to your home or business, call us at (916) 991-1522 or visit our website.